Friday, April 06, 2007

Creatively Avoiding Creativity

Ok, so I said that one of my purposes for writing was to explore creativity. My creativity? Well, I can't really explore the creative process of someone else until they discover a way to plug me into someone else's brain. So, yes, I meant mine. And more specifically, since I am writing as the owner of a yarn store and the hostess of a fiber arts community, I mean my fiber arts creativity. Which is predominantly knitting. But I haven't really posted about that, now have I? And where to begin....

I am one of those "idea people". I have a million ideas. They just seem to bubble up as though I'm a bottle of effervescent water that is shaken before the lid is removed. This would be a grand thing if I had cast of thousands to hand these ideas off to for execution. Instead, I'm drowning in my own fountain. I struggle, and I mean really struggle, to find the balance between exploring the ideas before they are lost to me and sticking with a project long enough to see it to completion. I really, really, really want that cast of thousands! Ok, a hundred might be a good start.

While I wait for hordes of volunteers to recognize that I am the Trevi Fountain of creative ideas where rather than throw in coins you knit in order for your wishes to be granted - yes, I know, sarcasm is difficult to relay in this medium - I do try to work on what I can. I do actually finish a project now and again. But the more fertile ground is in UFO-land. Un-Finished Projects, that is. Gold on Hold. Designer's Tea. (Ok, now I'm dating myself!) I'm going to start posting now and again about what I am and am not actively working on. Hopefully, I'll figure out how to be a better photographer of knitted pieces, though. For now, I offer up this:



This is Louis' Baby Blanket. (It will be steeked and then backed. So, no, it's not a skirt.) I was using Jaeger Baby Merino with borders of Koigu. The plan is this: using the solid colors, create sets of 3 2-color bands in between larger symbolic motifs. I can not use the same colors together in the 2-color bands. I am randomly creating or choosing the patterns for those as I go. The larger motifs all contain symbols of long life, family bonding, etc. I stopped after the first large motif because I was very unhappy with the resulting fabric. My stranding is too tight and it is buckling the fabric. It needs to be pulled back. I made this realization right before I opened Circles. This will be a theme. I am committed to finishing this piece, though. The child that inspired it is now probably 5 years old. The family moved back to Germany and they had another child and we've been out of touch. But this will always be Louis' Baby Blanket even if it ends up as a wall hanging. Someday......

No comments: