Friday, May 23, 2008

Why Knit?

Rebecca recently introduced me to a lovely blog called Superhero Journal. I find this woman's work and writing very inspiring. It feeds into my growing sense that I must get back to my inner mission - using knitting as a healing tool. It's simply not enough for me to knit for the sake of selling yarns or patterns. Or even just to have finished products.

Wonderful Wool Fabric
a swatch I knit years ago, just because... There's a sweater in there somewhere...

Now, clearly I love knitting. I love yarns. I love seeing the infinite design outcomes of all the creative knitters out there. I love giving knitted items to my friends and loved ones. I love wearing hand knitted items. I have an appreciation for the craft simply as craft. And for many, maybe even most, that's plenty of reason to knit.

For me, however, there is still a yearning for something more. I "see" more in the knitting than the individual pieces of the craft. It soothes my soul to make the connections. Mindless knitting projects bring a time of mindfulness. Design projects evoke the alchemical nature of life - the mystery behind transformation. Intentional knitting can lead to unintended treasures.

So, in the spirit of Superhero Journal and my own journey of fostering something "more" out of knitting, I will, from time to time, pose questions for us all to consider.

Today's: why knit?

2 comments:

Trinity said...

That is a seemingly simple question but when I attempt to answer it, I find that it isn't so simple. Here are some of the reasons why I knit:
It gives me joy and satisfaction.
I have the need to create.
It helps me focus my energy in a variety of situations.
It connects me with a community I enjoy being a part of.
I learn from it.
It is beautiful and functional.
I feel rewarded by it.

Anonymous said...

Why knit?

* to quiet a restless mind (a much needed meditative / calming effect in a noisy and chaotic world)

* knitting teaches (paitence, commitment, problem solving / finding alternate solutions to a challenge)

* knitting connects people (through classes, blogs, KALs, meet-ups, ravelry, emails...)

* knitting inspires, allows one to transform raw materials into something beautiful, unique, inviting, inspiring and something to be treasured as a gift