Friday, March 21, 2008

Circles Ring Round

Is it a whimple? A smoke ring? A snood?



This was the result of trying to figure out what to do with 225 yards of an exotic, handspun skein of yarn. It's clearly a nod to the Rosemary Hill's Ice Queen pattern seen in Knitty recently. I simply didn't want to knit feather and fan, yet again. It's a lovely and simply lace pattern, but I wanted something more uncommon. When I saw a stitch pattern for "wheels" in the Barbara Walker collection I, of course, saw them as circles and just had to incorporate them.

Beyond not knowing when I would run out of yarn and having to pull out the cast on edge to make adjustments- I'll write another post about an obviously wise thing I might have done to help myself out - the biggest challenge was creating smaller wheels. It wasn't as simple as I thought it would be to extract the inner rings and leave out the outer. After quite a bit of work sorting it out, I discovered that those patterns were in the book, too - albeit a bit differently than how I accomplished it. Ah well, it was worth the learning process.

I think it came out lovely, don't you? (I'll get photos of it on a person soon.)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

It *did* turn out lovely, Allison.